I shared my 5 Easy Steps to Hosting a Chili Cook-off and now I want to share with you my recipe for a chili.
I use to call it cheat chili but lets face it, it is more than that so I am now calling it Can Opener Chili. I open a lot of cans to make this but please know it is made with love. Ha! Just kidding. I hate to chop. I barely tolerate cooking which is why I like to blog about the recipes I find. They are easy and I did a good job.
I have been making this for years and I am always looking to improve upon it for instance, I started adding corn two years ago and last year I started adding RoTel because it is awesome and I hate roasting hot peppers. And then there was the time that Baby Girl decided to improve on my recipe by adding a banana to the pot.
I finished the chili and while it was simmering I ran upstairs for whatever reason. She found me and told me that she was helping me cook.
She was two, what could she do? Well I learned that she is tall enough to toss a banana into a pot of chili and that she really likes to cook. Needless to say she never attempted that again and I now let her "help" by pouring the already opened cans into the chili. Oh, kids can be so darn cute.
So without further ado...
|look at that chunky goodness|
Can Opener Chili
- 1 large Green pepper
- 1 medium onion (your choice)
- 3lbs Ground beef or turkey
- Can of black beans
- Can of Bush's chili beans
- 1 jar of Mrs Renfro Smoked Salsa (or another brand you like)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 cup frozen corn
- hot sauce (lots is a good start)
- cilantro (and lots of that too)
- chipotle seasoning
- salt and pepper
- In olive oil, saute the onion and green peppers and add beef when onions are translucent.
- Open the cans and jars
- Add to the pot and let simmer
Looking for a dessert idea? Try Dark Chocolate Fudge Guinness Brownies.