I have a love/hate relationship with my sewing machine.
When the kids were little, I made blankets and bibs for them. I thought my sewing adventures were over. But, I decided to make one more blanket to discover that I had lost the cord of sewing machine. I took it as a sign. I also had to hand sew a blanket, but that's another story.
Fast forward several years and my motivation to sew returned.
Out of frustration at the cost of headbands my kid likes, I broke down and bought a cord to my sewing machine. And, discovered all the cool fabric on Etsy.
Part of my motivation is her upcoming birthday. She is having a superhero party and I thought it would be fun to wear a Supergirl headband.
I found the perfect fabric! And, if I didn't screw it up, I could make enough for her best friends.
Before I even cut into the cool fabric, I made a bunch of headbands practicing.
I tried a few patterns and made a bunch of mistakes. I even broke down and bought a rotary blade. It made life so much easier!
Eventually, I found a pattern I liked the best and started cutting the good fabric.
All of my fears ended after I finished the first one. I don't know why I was so freaked out. These are just headbands she'll eventually lose.
I want to do more than just headbands now! And, yes I have more fabric on the way.
What I used(links are affiliates except for Etsy shop)
- Fabric scraps and/or fat quarters
- I've bought fabric from several shops since starting this project and my favorite shop is RomiWStudio. Shipping cost is not outrageous and I got my fabric faster than any other shop.
- I also cut up old PJs and t-shirts
- Rotary blade
- 5/8" FOE Fold Over Elastic
- I bought HipGirl Ribbon, Trim and Elastic Value Pack cheap!
- Look at these 20 Styles Printed Stretch Fold Over Elastic!
- This pattern from Happy Together by Jess minus the cover for the elastic. I used the adult pattern for her headbands, but she has a lot of hair. Her directions are spot on.
- Patience. Lots of coffee and patience.
Just wait till you see the Wonder Woman fabric I got!